Monday, February 18, 2008

GreenDelhi

I first came to Delhi in 1975. That visit was very brief and I stayed with a relative of mine at curzon road. During that visit I saw very little of Delhi. Evey evening I used to take a walk from curzon road flats to India Gate. Delhi impressed me as the 'greenest' city in India.I fell in love with greenery of Delhi .During that visit I decided that I would finally settledown in Delhi only. I was merely 21 years old then.
In 1975,Delhi had a population of about 40-45 lakhs, and area around 100o sq kms. Full of trees on both the sides of roads, wherever one goes.

But alas! That Delhi is gone. Gone for ever. It remains only in memories.
Delhi has grown leaps and bounds. Delhi covers an area of ( nothing official about it) 4500 sq Kms. or more.The green cover in Delhi has depleted many times ovcer in the last 30-35 years. New subcities have come up. Janak Puri, Rohini,Dwarka, and similar residential areas now account for about 30 lakhs population -big enough to be eligible for a metropolitan classification .
New Flyovers ,roads ,residential areas, underground railway,HCBS etc have all contributed to cutting of 50% of the trees Delhi had thirty years back.
A look at the city map confirms that most of the green areas/ forests have disappeared.
Will Delhi be green again ? I wish it happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends..
I think n one really cares for Delhi,rather I should use the word moher Earth. Vikas Marg has been bared off of trees for a mere reason of Metro Rail. Is metro so important?
Ok if trees has been cutted for metro then why should we take no action to plant new trees...
Those who agree with me come at Dyal Singh College,Delhi and join us and work for the welfare of Society..
Himanshu

Science Bloggers Association said...

Kyon naheen? Bas ek imaandaar koshish ki zrurat hai.

-Zakir Ali ‘Rajnish’
{ Secretary-TSALIIM & SBAI }